Monday, July 30, 2007

Weekend at Ma-Ma's House

As a child, I don't think I ever fully understood the importance of visiting with extended family, taking the time to get to know my cousins, learning from my Grandparents, or appreciating my heritage. Now as I am older, I value time spent with my family.

Mom and I arrived at my Grandmother's house on Friday around 11:30 AM with the canines, Noah and Jonah. She graciously welcomed all of us into her house -- even the dogs. We ate lunch with my Great-Uncle James, my Uncle Mitchell, and my Cousin Austin. My Grandmother is completely bound to a wheelchair, but she still manages to cook huge spreads of food. We ate salmon patties, collards, mac-n-cheese, black-eyed peas, sliced tomatos, deviled eggs, and peach cobbler. I've been trying to watch what I eat, but that went completely out the window once I walked through her front door. We went to eat dinner at one of the few restaurants in Chesterfield, THE CAROLINA RESTAURANT! My Aunt Cynthia's family owns the restaurant, and they have the best steaks ever along with homemade sour cream. Needless to say, I stuffed myself once again.

We woke up Saturday morning to find Noah and Jonah bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. The leftover peach cobbler was calling my name for breakfast so I just had to indulge. We ventured off to Catos and Wal-mart in Cheraw to just look, but somehow, we always come home with at least two bags full of stuff. After packing up and saying our goodbyes, Mom and I headed home to try and fight the beach traffic. Thank God, most of the traffic had already made it's way through. Well, until next time ....

2 comments:

Madelyn's Mommy said...

Sounds like you have had an awesome summer! So happy that you have been able to spend time with your family.

Madelyn's Mommy said...

Just had to tell you that I love the new lay out of the blog!!! Where did you find it? I will be in SC soon. Coming straight down 95. I am from there originally so I come that way all the time. We will have to meet!!!

email me at ncleo1792@suddenlink.net

Andrea